[Spridgets] Honda CV Joint

dmeadow at juno.com dmeadow at juno.com
Thu Jun 5 21:43:32 MDT 2008

I think $180 just to replace the boots is too much to spend for what you
get.  If it were me, I'd buy the rebuilt axles and replace them
altogether myself and be done with it.  She may end up keeping that car
longer than she expects.  I've replaced CV halfshafts on a Nissan Maxima
and it was pretty easy.  Took a couple of hours.  Autozone shows the
halfshafts for a 1992 Honda Accord about $60 apiece.  If the existing
boots are already split, then you might have dirt in there that is going
to destroy the axles in 6 months and you'll end up spending the money to
replace them, anyway.  Check out a Haynes manual or some on-line forums
first to see how difficult the Hondas are before attempting.

If you want the mechanics to do it, then they are already 90% there
because they have to remove the axles to replace the boots.  So for
another $120 or so you can get new joints, too.

As someone else noted, you can buy the split boots and replace them for
much less ($15 apiece at Autozone).  The mechanics don't like to use them
because they don't seal as well, but you've got only a year to worry
about them.  If you don't want to put out the money or effort for new
axles now, then put on the split boots.  If the joints fail in 6 months
then you're out $30 instead of $180.

Dirt is the enemy, so the better seal the longer they will last.
Squirting in grease won't do any good.

Bad CV joints won't strand a car, someone else noted that there would be
plenty of warning.

Good luck!
David