[Spridgets] The story of the Father's Sprite

Glen Byrns grbyrns at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jul 30 21:55:46 MDT 2008

All we really know is that after years in a Sacramento carport, Spirite was
bundled with three other classic cars and sold to a guy who wanted nothing to
do with it.  Listed on Craiglist for $1100, it drew several lookers,
tirekickers and a lowballer with V-8 plans.  When Bugsy and I pulled up, we
did an instant car-guy bonding thing and he chopped the price to $600 and
loaned me his trailer to get it home.  Planning for a long term storage and
eventual post-retirement restoration, I quickly changed plans after my wife
saw a Morris pickup at the big local club meet.
The Spirite left England in January of 1959, having been born just days
earlier.  OEW with red upholstery and optional heater and bumper, he probably
came in either in Long Beach or Oakland.  His life after that is lost to the
sandblasters of time, but some say he slipped into poor condition over the
years, going from owner to owner.  Eventually, with one OEW fender, one
Country Cream fender, one Rustoleum fender and an ecru bonnet clashing with an
offwhite boot and a shabby interior that mixed Biscuit, Camel, Tan and Sandal,
he was doomed to hotrod hell.
Doubtlessly purchased by some pimple-faced highschooler, he sprouted giant
tires and the biggest junkyard engine the kid could shoehorn into the bay.
Thrashed around the neighborhood until he had whipped every grocery-getter on
the block, he slipped under the carport and began watching the pasage of time
through his cracked windscreen.  Thrown in with much more desireable cars as a
deal sweetener, he finally began to have a sliver of hope he would evade the
crusher and coming back as 15 Hyundais.
After a few weeks of being the last puppy in the pet store window, I looked
upon his little bondo'ed face and fell in love.  But now its time to move him
from foster care into a longterm loving home near a doctor that understands
his special needs.
No more, I'm getting verklempt.....must find Kleenex

Glen