[Spridgets] Earthquake--from my cousin

B- Evans b-evans at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 29 15:26:47 MDT 2008

>From my cousin in Iowa:

Okay -- here goes at the risk of whatever -- I have lived in northeast Iowa
over 50 years and  I have seen two tornadoes in the last 8 years less than
1/2 mile from my home.  We didn't have TV on to be notified -- the city
alerted us by sirens -- but not in my neighborhood.  The May 25 tornado in
NE Iowa demolished 2-3 small towns and their infractures.  The first week of
June, 85 out of 99 counties were declared federal emergency areas due to the
Flood of 2008.  We had the 500 year flood putting water 10-12 feet higher
than before.  This too wiped out major cities that are still trying to
recuperate from the tornado as well as flood.  I have several friends living
in the flood plain and in 30, 40, 60 years had never seen the water come to
their place [they are approximately 2 miles south of the river] --
foundations were knocked out - water up to the ceilings of the first story
of their homes. Needless to say several families have lost their homes and
nowhere to go with our winter weather just around the corner -- you know --
20 degrees below zero for days -- 2 to 5 feet of snow -- and I saved the
best for last -- ICE.

I believe it doesn't matter where you live -- you just become accustomed to
your surroundings and possible natural disasters.  I hope I didn't offend
anyone.  But all of us across the country need to be grateful for what we
have and help those in need. Thank you for listening.

A gal from Iowa