[Spridgets] a rad cola

Glen Byrns grbyrns at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jul 28 14:15:24 MDT 2008

Seriously,

For rust removal on steel (besides gas tanks and radiators) I prefer
phosphoric acid.  I've been stripping the new Morris project frame and
bodyshell of light surface rust and then wiping down with a phosphoric acid
primer/prep.  NO rust remains to be trapped under the etch-primer and no
need to discuss the short-comings of POR15.  The phosphoric acid converts
the surface rust back to iron and leaves the parts with a mottled
black/white finish that can be painted over with primer.  Its nice to know
that there isn't a patch of rust sleeping under the paint waiting to bloom
in the spring.

Glen Byrns