[Spridgets] Halfshaft Repair, Now - Diff OK?

Guy R Day grday at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 26 17:30:03 MDT 2008

Whilst you are playing around  :-)  make sure the brakes aren't a bit stiff
or catching on one side stopping the wheel from turning freely.  If you can
turn that wheel

Back end up on jackstands, engine off.  If you are in gear and not turning
the engine over the other wheel should rotate in the opposite direction the
same distance you are turning one rear wheel.  If the back end is up then
stuff a long screwdriver through the u/j to jam it up and turn either wheel
by hand.  Any movement in MUST equal movement out (if everything is working
properly).

If the drive shaft is allowed to turn, dependant on the friction generated
in the gearbox either the drive shaft will rotate or the other wheel will
rotate or they both will.

If you are driving the rear axle with the engine you may just get movement
on one side but that shows there is either a friction problem with the side
that isn't turning or, the diff or other side halfshaft isn't working as it
should.  That side shouldn't be able to move freely, the diff should supply
some drive to it.  Try braking the wheel on the drivers side (use a long
piece of wood as a lever against the tyre tread - but be careful!) and the
drive should go to the other side.  If the engine is just ticking over in
1st gear you should be able to stop and hold the drivers side wheel with
gloved hands and see the other side turn.  If that happens fairly freely -
no problem.

All the best

Guy R Day