[Spridgets] Fuel tank restoration and fuel pick-up

Tracy Drummond bighealey at charter.net
Sat Jul 26 06:45:41 MDT 2008

This is on a 76 Midget tank that has the vent fitting and newer style fuel
level sensor.

OK so the tank has sat for 20 years with about 2 gallons of the foulest
varnish known to man.  This apparently was previously gasoline.

Anyway as I proceed with the restoration and wanting to save on replacement
parts I will go down the path of a clean, etch and slosh the tank.

Now I know what your thinking, no this is not to be confused with going out
on the town and NOT getting lucky (Just keeping Ed on his toes).

There are a few candidate kits out there:

A - Eastwood -  Apparently a biodegradable cleaner, metal etch and sealer.
$45 bucks (OK Reviews on-line)

B - POR 15 - Same as above but $75 bucks (Great reviews on-line)

C - DIY - Small amount of muratic acid (swimming pool cleaner added to
water) followed by NAPA brand metal etch and tank slosh. (Hard Core DIY
types)

OK so my biggest worry is the fuel pick-up and clogging it.  I removed the
sensor and peered inside to see what appeared to be quite an exotic fuel
pick up gadget.

Has anyone had luck restoring a tank this way (the tank in question is in
very good shape OUTSIDE) with out pinholes or rust, just tons of varnish.

Other advise is to put nuts and bolts or pea-gravel in there and agitate,
one Harley guy actually claims to put in nuts seal openings with duct tape ,
wrap in a few towels and put in in the clothes drier on fluff for 30
minutes.  Wow not that would send my wife through the roof (although a
Spridget tank would never fit, maybe an industrial drier -  naw forget that
idea).

Flame away.

Tracy Drummond                  Gang Warily !

President AHCUSA              www.healey.org