[Spridgets] Clutch Problem

Doug Altman doug_altman at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 16:16:34 MDT 2008

I developed a clutch problem while at LOTO and am just now getting to the
troubleshooting.  The clutch does not disengage completely even when the pedal
is pushed to the floor, causing the Bugeye to want to lurch forward when
starting, grinding when shifting between gears, and not wanting to come out of
gear.  When the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor, there is no back pressure
from the clutch springs - it is like mush pushing it to the floor.  There are
no leaks in the master or slave cylinders or lines or fittings, fluid level is
being maintained, master cylinder rod is properly adjusted, and slave cylinder
actuates when pedal is depressed.  Clue: looking underneath the car,
there appears to be too much play in the clutch withdrawl lever coming out of
the transmission.  When the clutch pedal is not pushed, I can push the
withdrawl lever forward about 3/4 inches until the slave cylinder rod finally
seats against the slave cylinder piston.
 It is as if the clutch springs are not pushing the withdrawl lever all the
way back to where it is pressing the slave cylinder rod all the way back in.
Thus when the slave cylinder extends when pushing the clutch pedal, there is
too much free play and only in the last 1/4 inch or so is it compessing
the clutch which is not enough to disengage it.  I need a diagnosis.  I hope I
do not need a new clutch.  Thanks.