[Spridgets] Bugeye original paint

Kitterer Bob bkitterer at mac.com
Sat Jul 5 11:57:41 MDT 2008

OK,  OK  I can not stand it any  longer.

The Concours colors are a compromise and they are a compromise
because there was no color control to speak of at the factory when
out cars were built.  SO what ever "original" color you find hidden
away on your car is what came out of the factory that day plus age.
In 1960 I happen to be at a importers where there was a brand new
white Jag Saloon park at the curb.  There were no two panels on the
car the same shade of white.  The dealer said the car had just
arrived from the factory and because the cars were in such high
demand they would send it up the street to Chevy dealer to be
repainted.  The car had been assembled from remaining parts from
previous days production and each panel had been painted at different
times, with in weeks of each other.  What ever "original" color you
find on your car and then carefully match can easily be different
from some one else's car of the "same" color.

I have been very careful to have the Nevada Beige paint for my car
spectrally matched, then test panels painted prior to removing any
paint from the car.  Not for Concours but just because I like the
color that came out of the factory that day.  The only other Nevada
Beige cars that I have seen that match mine were painted with the
same paint and formula which I provided to the owners but it does not
make the other Nevada Beige cars wrong, just different.

Next subject please.

Bob Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes
2000 Miata Special Edition