[Spridgets] Bugeye original paint

Dean Hedin dlh2001 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 2 21:23:11 MDT 2008

Thanks Frank.

I don't know.  I am looking at the original patch of OEW that I have on
the car. The new paint is close.  Real close.  I think you have a good idea
how difficult it is to express all this in digital photos.

Like I stated, on the 4th I am having three LBC afficionados comming
over for barbecue.

They are..
A present owner of a '64 E-type Jag. He says his jag is OEW, but I think
its Cream, since the OEW was only a factory color from '70 on for E-types.
In any case, I don't think OEW on a later Jag is comparable, so I expect an
extended arguement.  This gentleman has also formally owned a 3000 Healey.

Next, An elderly gentlmen, a former owner of  several Morgans, presently a
911
owner  (the above gentleman's father).  He is old enough to have witnessed
OEW Bugeyes in the heyday..we'll see.

My eldest brother, a former Bugeye owner and a former Lotus Europa
owner.  He has recently purchased a 74' Midget to restore.  He has also
painted the Lotus and Bugeye himself in the past and has been my
inspiration.

Only my brother knows it's Rustoleum, has seen the car and likes what he
sees.

However, at this point, Only I have looked at the original OEW patch and
compared it to the new paint.

They will all get to do the same on the 4th....and decide,  I will do my
best to
post and express each of their opinions without bias.

I will also allow them to examine digital photograhs of all the OEW bugeyes
I have
photographed and collected off the web over the years.

I don't think a perfect color match is possible.  I think the original OEW
alkyd paint fades over time.  Not from UV,  but from atmospheric oxidation.
I think that is why,  IMHO,  some of the OEW re-creations I have seen have
too
much of a brown tinge.

In the end, color is all subjective.  If you were to ask me, I would say the
new paint
is just a teeney, tiny shade lighter than the original OEW patch of paint.

But then again, we know that the patch is almost 50 years old.
So, if anything, I think I have errored toward the right side of things...