[Spridgets] home from LotO

Glen Byrns grbyrns at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jul 1 14:43:36 MDT 2008

I'm back. Dodging the heat, I left Salt Lake City at 10PM last night
after an early dinner and a few hours sleep.  A few hours out of Salt
Lake, a thunderhead laid a massive burst across 80 and stopped all
traffic.  (All four or five of us) I didn't have the side curtains up and
took the horozontal blast in the side of the face.  It knocked off my hat
andglasses, pushed the car half off the road and blasted the car and I
with sand, brush and rain.  After a minute it was gone, but half of
Utah was in my left eye.  I had about one and a half eyes for the rest of
the drive.  My first stop when I got home a few hours ago was the eye
doctor.  Much better now with modern pharmacology.

An hour later, a stab at the dimmer killed the fuse while I was
doing about 70. Pucker time.  I found the flashlight by touch, dead.
I found the transmitter for the toy helicopter, stole batteries and
fixed the flashlight by the soft glow of the GPS screen.  No spare fuse
of course, but the bit from a multi-driver made a perfect snap-in fit for
a 2000W replacement.  After a sniff for melted wiring, I was off again.
Daybreak in the Nevada desert near Winnemucca was beautiful even to one
eye.

Three days, 13 gas stops, 1956 miles with a net average of 37mpg

Its good to be home.  I'll have more time to reflet on the incredible
experience of LotO after a LOT of sleep.

Glen Byrns