[Spridgets] Replacing A -Post

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Mon Jan 28 16:33:26 MST 2008

Having just done this on my 67, I found the spot welds on the fender
side of the post, I had my fender off.
I also cut a "U" on the inside of the lower hinges, bent the metal out
of the way and made a new hinge holder plate.
That part sort of floats inside so you can adjust the hinge.
I have also used a piece of angle iron with the hinge screw holes
drilled and tapped and just cut it to length and set it inside the post
and let it float. It worked well and was probably a better design than
the hinge screw plate, floating bracket to hold the plate, and thin
metal tap to hold all of the above off the rocker.
As for the post skin, just sheetmetal folded around the corners.
Patch panels are cheap enough but the guts where the rust starts from,
get expensive and there is nothing expensive in there, it's just unique.
If you cut open the inside, big enough to work in there yet not past the
post, cut 3 sides, fold the metal up or frontwards, make the repairs,
fold the metal back and tack weld it. It all gets covered and I do
believe the open gaps between the welds will let the air get in and dry
it out so it doesn't rust in the future. Water gets down the windshield
posts and causes this to rust out.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ