[Spridgets] Weights of wheels...

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Tue Jan 22 09:39:45 MST 2008

The "flywheel effect" is yet another (separate from suspension, yet very
much related....."Bud, you're full of shit") effect of just one part of
the unsprung weight equation.
Here's something to think about: wire wheels vs. steel disc wheels.  If
we were to analyze the locations of the weight "masses" of steel disc
vs. wire wheels, I think we might find that, because the heaviest parts
of the wire wheel are closer to the center of their diameter, their
"flywheel" effect is slightly less than that of a steel disc wheel of
the same size.  BUT, due to the heavier overall weight of a wire wheel,
it's unsprung weight effect on suspension function is greater (in
negative terms) than that of the steel disc wheel (talk about someone's
mind being a cesspool of useless trivia....).
Fortunately, for us, the most effective way to reduce unsprung weight is
also the easiest to achieve.....lighter wheels.
That having been said, and given the litigious nature of our society, I
suspect that (for example) the aluminum wheels we see on so many new
cars, today, are really not significantly lighter than the steel wheels
they replace, due to manufacturer's fears of product liability issues.
Just thinkin' out loud, here.  But, when I swap the summer tires, on
their aluminum wheels for the winter tires, on their steel wheels, I
really don't detect that much difference in weight.
Bud Osbourne