[Spridgets] Weights of wheels...

Rick Fisk refisk at chartermi.net
Mon Jan 21 22:46:52 MST 2008

Mike,

Here is another way to visual the difference between sprung vs. unsprung
weight - think of your body as "sprung" weight (supported by your legs and
feet) and think of your legs and feet as "unsprung" weight.

Go put on 3 or 4 pairs of heavy pants, 3 pairs of socks, and the heaviest
boots you own.  Fill the boots with water.  Now go run up and down some
stairs about ten times, then go run around the block a couple of times.
It's a lot of work to move your legs and feet with all that extra weight.

Now take all those pants, socks, and boots off and switch to a pair of
running shorts and lightweight running shoes.  Go do those same exercises.

See the difference?  On a car everything above the spring is sprung weight.
Everything below the spring is unsprung weight.  By reducing the unsprung
weight all of your suspension components can do their job much more quickly
and efficiently, with less wear and tear on the joints.

Hope this helps,
Rick