[Spridgets] OT - Spyware

Guy R Day grday at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 19 04:08:07 MST 2008

>From this side of the pond I echo that.  NORTON was amongst one of the
reasons I got a new computer many years ago, without a hard drive wipe I
could not get rid of them.
I now use AVG (paid for version but ran the free one for around 5 years),
Spysweep, and Ad-Aware.  They run at all times.  Putting Spysweep on first
caused installation problems when installing AVG.

Try an install of AVG first, then disable it.  Install Spysweep, turn that
off then enable AVG and run that and then the same with Spysweep.  It worked
for me and they seem to work happily together now and if virus attacked
either one will catch it.  Windows Defender gets a good rating and that runs
from start up as well.  Ad-Aware and Xoft Spy just sit on top and are run a
couple of times per week.

I cannot work without my computer now and do get a little (some may say
'very' ) paranoid as far as this goes.  All I will say is that if I don't
clean my computer on a regular basis progs that are not mine and are beyond
my control infest my computer.  There are other measures I take to safeguard
data but they aren't for public consumption.
As an indication of what is there when connecting my wife's new computer to
the net last year, we had 5 spyware progs install themselves between
installing AVG and the net connection.  The only site we had visited was
AVG's.

Guy R Day