[Spridgets] (no subject)

David Lieb dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com
Thu Jan 17 09:51:20 MST 2008

> I was referring to what was happening in the 1980s and the early 1990s
> with the Austin healey club magazine.  I had a Big healey friend that had
> every magazine or newsletter that they put out and I was on night shift at
> the time so I would read from cover to cover every issue from every year
> from the beginning.  I wouldn't waste my money investing in the club as
> very little is fitting to the best Austin Healey - the Bugeye.
> The Bugeye articles were, all but a few tech articles and restoration ones
> here and there, rather sickening.

I agree. I am also less than thrilled at having my Midget parked in the MG
section of the annual car show while the Sprites are parked by the Heavey
Healeys, and we all get treated as the black sheep of the family. We really
need a national Spridget club. It doesn't need to have a whole lot of
physical existence, a virtual club with virtual meetings is fine. A
"register" with benefits, so to speak. I guess that one has sort of come
into existence with the "Sprite-Midget Club" that is organizing the 50th
celebration in Missouri in June. Heck, it even has a calendar ;-)

BTW, I got my copies now and I am quite happy with them. I must confess to a
degree of trepidation regarding the Cafe' Press aspect of it, but it has
worked out quite well. I do wish that they had the ability to allow us to
submit a spreadsheet of custom dates... but I only got a couple that would
actually pertain to a calendar.

Anyhow, I was thinking that it might be a good idea to keep the
Sprite-Midget Club alive. Not sure whether a newsletter is a viable option,
since the various bulletin boards, forums, and email lists fulfill much of
that function. Perhaps maintain a calendar of Spridget-related events and
print an annual calendar of pictures. I am sure the rest of you can come up
with additional functions... Could be fun.
David Lieb