[Spridgets] Ignition fault - Lucas electronic DM system

Weslake1330 at aol.com Weslake1330 at aol.com
Sun Jan 13 13:35:42 MST 2008

Hi List,

Any bright ideas on this one?

I have  a Lucas DM series electronic distributor on my carbs engine with a
combined coil  and ignition pack.  Ibve recently  fitted a new coil HT lead
and
the distributor cap and rotor arm have less than  10,000 miles on them.
The  car starts first time and runs great for about 10 minutes and then
completely  cuts out.  After doing nothing for a  few minutes the engine will
start
first time and run for an hour or longer with  no problem whatsoever.
The  engine is new and being run in so I have no idea of what rpm ignition
performance is like but I donbt suspect the coil is at fault.  I donbt
suspect
the ignition system is  at fault as when the previous unit failed it never
cut out but suffered instead,  high rpm rough running.
Itbs  possible the distributor pick up might be failing but I donbt
understand why there is such a seemingly  perfect recovery after an absolute
failure.
Any  ideas or how I can check things with just a basicmultimeter?
Regards
Weslake1330