[Spridgets] Cell phones and cars, you are missing the point

Bill Gilroy wmgilroy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 13:27:17 MST 2008

What most people seem to miss or do not want to understand is, "drivers who
use hands free cell phones are equally likely to get into car accidents as
are drivers who do not (use hands free cell phones)."  Check out
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=1592  There are other studies about this
affect.  The thing that puts us at risk seems to be the cell phone
conversation itself not the handheld vs. handsfree.  That would imply that
all the laws will not make us safer and the only reason that they are
passing laws is to make us think we are safer and so we be live that the
people in the capital are doing their jobs.  Sort of like a federal
carjacking law.

I have been punted from behind by a guy on a cell phone.  Sometimes I use a
cell phone in the car, it is a Windows Mobile 6.0 phone, with a blue tooth
headset and Voice Command dialing.  Guilty as charged, but I don't spend a
lot time on the phone.

All that said, I am not sure what is the solution.  But to find one we have
to know what is the problem.

-g