[Spridgets] Driving Lights vs. Fog Lights

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Wed Jan 9 21:49:18 MST 2008

Not sure I'd want to mount them on a badge bar.....they need to be
mounted pretty solidly, to keep vibration to a minimum (otherwise, the
"vibrating" light beam will drive you nuts).
I had a pair of Cibie' 45s mounted directly to an early ('64, I think)
bumper, years ago on my '72.  I wired them independently from the
headlight circuit (which is illegal, in PA, where I live), controlled
with a pull type switch that I mounted on the radio housing console.
Worked very nicely, until that stupid deer jumped in front of me, and
sat her ass on the Midgets hood.  That finished off one driving light
(and one hood, one Cibie' conversion headlight and trim ring).  I didn't
remount them, after I rebuilt the body, since I went back to the correct
bumper, and haven't gotten around to fabricating mounting brackets for
the driving lights.
If/when I do mount some driving lights on a Midget, again, I'll make
mounting brackets out of 1/4" x 1" flat bar, fitted between the bumper
mounting "studs", and the bumper mounting springs on the bumper.  That
should hold them pretty still.  I still have the wiring & switch in
place, on the '72, just in case.
One thing I would suggest, before driving lights, is a pair of Cibie'
conversion headlights.  Aimed correctly, they really make a huge
difference, and may be all that you need.  Stick with the lower wattage
bulbs (45 watt, I think), or make sure you install a relay, to avoid
drawing too much current through the dimmer switch.  If you use the high
wattage bulbs, and no relays, the switch will run to hot, and the rivets
that hold the wire contacts will become loose, from the surrounding
plastic becoming soft from the heat (don't ask me how I know this :( ).
Bud Osbourne