[Spridgets] Piston source?

Robert E. Shlafer pilotrob at webtv.net
Tue Jan 8 02:36:17 MST 2008

Judson???

I suggest you listen to Mike, Lester. He's
BTDT with an 8.3-1 stock 948.

Otherwise....

Hope you have a supplier of 100+RON (today's racing) gas available at reasonable price.

These older vane-type blowers worked but they are real heat producers in the process.

Without the higher octane gasolines of yesteryear they were designed to run on, or an alcohol/water delivery system to take the place of yesterday's readily available leaded, more "manly" higher octanes (at reasonable prices) to cool things off, you'll have the normal problems associated with this application in terms of overheating.

Only one guy I personally know of that made it work on today's garbage octane unleaded premiums and he had the entire blower/motor "heat treated" with ceramics which he could easily afford to do since he worked for the company involved in the process. He also upgraded the vane material as well.

IMHO, better off upgrading to a 1275, maybe "tuned", with an alum. head with 10.0-1CR. Hook it up to a Datsun 5 speed, select your diff. ratio depending on your type of driving, turn the key and drive away on today's more reasonably priced unleaded pump premiums with no overheating problems assciated with pre-ignition/detonation.

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)