[Spridgets] Happy New Year

David Lieb dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com
Tue Jan 1 12:28:08 MST 2008

A word to the wise, Beware of kindly neighbors who put snowthrowers in their
trash piles ;-)

My "free" snowthrower has now done its third snowfall. Free is in quotes
because it turned out to have a stripped auger gear. $95 worth of parts
later, it was running again. The local lawnmower parts store was a little
reluctant to order the gear for me... they seemed to think they were likely
to have a return on their hands. I finally had to convince them by
confessing that I had a British car (mandatory LBC content). That was enough
to get the part ordered (payment in advance of course). I was happy to see
the new gear was brass instead of the aluminium that composed the old one.

We got about four inches last night, so I got up this morning, fired up that
old 8-horse Tecumseh, and spent the next three hours clearing sidewalks and
driveways. Due to a watermain project, a lot of sidewalk here is gravel, so
I went through a few shear-pins, but I sure moved a lot of snow ;-)
David Lieb