[Spridgets] 67 Progress

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Thu Feb 21 20:04:16 MST 2008

Well it's looking alot like my first 67 Sprite that I bought off my Dad
in 1972. He bought it in 1969.
I have the original (brand) and color Sport Grip on the steering wheel.
I have my EIGHT TRACK tape player installed and it works. :)
The FM part of the radio has issues, the switch says FM but the stations
are AM. Moving the switch does nothing so it needs some TLC.
Did I mention I even have period correct real metal chrome 6" round
speaker grilles? New speakers of course but old grilles. No plastic.
Yes I even found the antennae with the "FM booster coil" on it like I
had in 1972, not that it boosted any FM signals, but I bought one back
then like all my buddys. Marketing!!!
I also dug up my Rally cone shaped mirror, old stock made in USA.
The exact mirror I had on my first 67.
They only difference is the lack of the Corvair wire wheel hub caps, I
opted for the BMC wheel embellishers this time.
I am still waiting for another yd of carpet before I bolt in the seats
and I have to install my Amco top and straighten out the front end.
4 months from start to finish give or take a week. I believe I did the
58 in exactly the same time last year. New floors in October, driving it
on Valentine's day. But the 58 was 100% on Valentines day last year.
The 67 with it's roll up windows, padded interior panels, and lots of
other time consuming bits has added about 2 weeks to the project.
Little things like bolting in the radiator, a Bugeye is just pop the
bonnet and put in 4 bolts. On a sq body, it's a nightmare compared to
the Bugeye. Fish bolts thru holes in the body, even removing the grille
is no fun. Oh yeah, I have to adjust the wiper motor park switch, easy
on all Sprite up to 66, and no possible on all after 68 but in 1967 they
stuck the wiper motor under the fender, not where it is on a 68 or later
but in the back of the fender where getting to the bolts to loosen them
and twist the park dome is going to be a nightmare too.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ