[Spridgets] Chicago Auto Show (some BBC content)

Ron Soave soavero at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 17 07:31:17 MST 2008

We just got back from that mid winter ritual of the
Chicago Auto show. Some observations from my kids that
automotive marketing geniuses really should pay
attention to. The following has NO correlation to what
I actually think of these cars:

1) They have no idea if the Jaguars or Bentleys are
nice. Most of their cars were roped off, ALL were
locked. The Jaguar spokesmodel looked absolutely
ridiculous explaining the new XF over and over to no
one. NONE of the several hundred thousand attendees
were interested in hearing her talk about a car that
was there in the flesh, but off limits. Jaguar had by
far the highest pile of un-taken brochures. Their
comment: "If we just want to hear someone talk about a
car we can't touch, we can get that on a free
podcast."

Jaguar is usually the only marque I really get excited
about. They managed to ruin the XJ-8 with a ridiculous
looking piece of body cladding on each side. All in
all and judging from the German competition, I don't
think they are long for this world.

2) They think Nissans are fun. They didn't (obviously)
drive one, but they had nice, accessible displays with
young people encouraging the kids to "jump in". They
had an interactive computer where kids "built" their
own Nissan, and it spit out a cardboard model. They
also were the only marque to be handing out posters.
The new GTR thing is now hanging on my 10 yr old's
wall, and he knows it does 0 to 60 in 3.3 seconds. Do
you think he'll associate a $14,000 Nissan bottom
feeder is related to the GTR on his bedroom wall and
want that bottom feeder over a Chevy Cobalt in a few
years? Me too.

3) They also think VWs are cool. VW emphasized
individualized cars, personalized accessories and had
several of each model available to "try on". No one
mentioned quality or labor issues, but that's what
shows are for.

4) Kids understand that 6000 pound hybrid SUVs placed
on green shag carpeting aren't necessarily
environmentally friendly.

5) Honda has a concept car, the CRZ, that teenagers
old seemed to think was cool. It's sorta the CRX
redone. When It hits the market in a few years, when
some of the same teenagers will be old enough to
default on their first loan.

Anyway, it was a fun day. New cars don't do very much
for me, but there are way worse ways to spend the day.

Ron