[Spridgets] Rack fixed

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Mon Feb 11 19:07:03 MST 2008

Thanks to Kevin for his mention of it worked fine until I clamped it
down permanent. And I know that little shim goes on the opposite side of
the steering wheel and yes it is on the other side on RH drive cars.
But it seems that was my major problem. I loosened all the bolts and it
was silky smooth again by pushing the wheels. As I tighten each bolt a
little I could see the rack thumping up and down like it was bent.
After an hour of messing with it all, I put the shim on the drivers side
and that seems to have fixed the problem.
It's all tight, column is back on and it is still silky smooth.
The wheels were perfect in their movement before the rack went in, the
rack was perfect before it went in and even after it was bolted to the
wheels. And it was fine as I was centering the steering wheel.
But in doing those things you do not want to forget like tightening the
2 clamps that hold the rack which can not be done until you get the
steering column on, that when the problem showed up.
Just something to keep in mind when reinstalling a rack.
Check it with the wheels up in the air as you go each step of the way.
This rack came out of this car, the shim was on the right side, I put it
back in the same spot but I did notice the boot was worn on the left
side which made me wonder how hard was the car hit.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ