[Spridgets] Bent Frame Rails

David Riker davriker at nwi.net
Sun Dec 21 16:13:15 MST 2008

Daniel:

And we've talked before about some of your brake mods.  I doubt the stock
brakes could generate enough force to crack the welds,  but with sticky
tires, a big brake kit and a power booster, well, all bets are off.
Remember the 1st of the bugeyes with front drum brakes didn't even have
inner and outer triangle reinforcements.

Really, the curved frame rails are an elegantly simple solution to a number
of design requirements.  If the A-arms were to be mounted at an angle to
achieve correct caster, then the frame rails would need to be taller, hence
heavier and more costly in terms of raw materials.  Jigging the cross member
at an angle would have been more complex than jigging the frame.  Also, the
engine does tilt back slightly, the curve in the frame aiding in drive shaft
alignment and minimizing the u-joint angle. With the engine at a slight
rearward tilt, yes, the radiator does need to tilt so that the fan is
parallel to the radiator.  Not to mention, in a crash,  I'm sure this bend
has an affect on the crumple pattern and energy absorbsion.

David R.