[Spridgets] Bent Frame Rails

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Sun Dec 21 14:41:21 MST 2008

Finally getting a spare moment to comment on this.  Not meaning to pee in
anybody's corn flakes here, but:
First of all, to those claiming to "notice more bend in frame rails on
hard-driven cars":  What are you guys smokin'?  Reality check, here........
Have you actually measured (ACCURATELY, as in "on a frame machine") this bend?
Didn't think so.  If you study that section of the frame, where the front
suspension ties in, you will notice that it is very well supported by other
parts of the actual frame.  Those frame rails are not just hangin' out there,
vulnerable to bending from stresses imposed by the forces that those stock
brakes and skinny tires can generate.  Take a good, hard look at the structure
surrounding the front suspension pick-up points, then try to rationalize how
what you are claiming can actually take place.  Sorry guys, IT AIN'T
HAPPENIN'.
Secondly: Regarding the shape of those front frame rails.  I'm willing to bet
that Geoff Healey and his design team forgot more than anyone on this list
will ever know about designing chassis within the parameters given them.  That
Sprite chassis is amazingly rigid and tough, especially when compared to it's
contemporaries.  Anyone intimately familiar with the legendary Porsche
Speedster will instantly get my point.
Thirdly, and, again, not trying to pee in anybody's corn flakes (translation:
no offense meant/nothing personal): If Geoff Healey is looking down on us,
he's probably either laughing at our lack of engineering understanding, or
fixin' to put a hex on some of us for our blasphemy.
And, for those who don't know me, or those on this list having short memories:
I've been around these silly little cars for well over forty years, and I've
seen a whole bunch of them "naked", too.  The only way I've seen those rails
actually bent is due to collision damage.
Now, competition cars are a different story.  But, even those don't retain any
deflection imposed due to overloading by uprated suspension tires & brakes.
There is good reason for tying roll cages into suspension pick-up points, but
not just on a Spridget.
Bud Osbourne