[Spridgets] Rebuilding the Datsun 5 speed...

Dean Hedin dlh2001 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 15 19:46:33 MST 2008

I bit the bullet.
IMHO, Rivergate's rebuild fee is quite reasonable.
That's a small price to pay to know that you can put it in and will work on the first get-go.
I'm sure they have rebuilt hundreds by this point.

I'm glad I did it this way.  As I am in proccess with the kit presently, I have found that there are plenty
of other things to keep me busy,  Like re-routing the clutch line, painting my engine, painting engine compartment,
installing a new ring gear on the flywheel etc...

Overall I am pretty impressed with the kit.  The only complaint I have is that for 948 folks they should throw in the
larger oil pump cover mentioned in the instructions.  Desoldering my old cover and then only later discovering that it interfered
gave me a headache.  No big deal.  With a little help of the persuader, I worked around it,  but  they should just add
a larger cover to the kit and adjust the price accordingly.    I was even thinking of going down to the kitchen store and
to see if I could find a stainless container that was the right diameter that I could cut the bottom off of to use as a cover.

Other than that the kit and instructons are excellent.

I am also amazed at the kit's low price.   How much do you think a 15"x15"x.75" plate of T6061 cost?
Go check it out at www.onlinemetals.com    You will be suprized.