[Spridgets] Rear Hubs

John Caffrey jdc6 at Lehigh.EDU
Wed Aug 27 13:35:55 MDT 2008

Hi Mark,
What you are seeing is the difference between batches for how the
machinist chose to setup the first machining operation. There will be
lots of variation there. Ideally the first piece casting gets layed out
to insure there is sufficient material for the subsequent operations and
satisfy all of the dimensions. I haven't heard of a broken rear hub, but
to answer your question, the thinner web is probably weaker. If you're
not confident with that one you should replace it. BTW most of the
Spridgets that are raced do not use stock hubs. Replacement hubs are
machined from steel so that an extra bearing can be added to provide
stability and safety, and the flange is thicker and uniform all the way
around.
John
Fogelsville, PA