[Spridgets] Engine restraint

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Sat Aug 23 07:25:28 MDT 2008

Vernon Olson wrote:
> Can someone tell me if my 59 bugeye had an
> engine restrain?  I haven't seen anything under
> it that looks like an attach point to the frame.
> Haven't seen anything in any of my books either.
> I'm considering just fabricating a chain setup.

The only restraint on all Spridget engines up thru 1973 was the ground
strap.
If you don't believe me, try pulling the engine if you forgot to remove
the ground strap.
It is a 1/2" thick cable, maybe it served a dual purpose. Ground AND
restraint ;)
in late 73 or 74 for sure, they did use a cable from the frame to the
tranny mount as a restraint.
This was to keep the engine/trans with the car in the event of a serious
accident.
But if you wreck a Midget that bad where the engine and trans go sailing
down the street,
You're dead.
Kevin may have exatly what you want, I have removed them and thrown them
out, a royal PITA to work around if you ask me.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ