[Spridgets] More on visibility

Michael Rowe mdrowe at optonline.net
Fri Aug 22 20:29:32 MDT 2008

I was fussing with my tail lights today, putting on the rounded fixtures
from a pre-1970 car, which has the dual-filament running/stop bulb on the
bottom instead of the top like the later cars.  I think higher is better for
the running lights, and I realized that the running filaments are the
weakest of all.  The turn signal is brightest.  So I rewired the fixture to:
1.  Brightest on top for running; 2. Next brightest on the bottom for
stopping;  3.  Weakest on the bottom for turning.  The fixture is all red,
no yellow part.

My mechanic/tutor came over and said, "What'd you do that for?  Don't you
think they have this figured out after 30 years?"  I am not sure that they
did have it figured out.  They certainly did not consider SUV's on the Long
Island Expressway at night when they came up with this configuration.  And
they did change the arrangement somewhat in 1970.

So what is the concensus of the list?  I think that the primary
consideration is to be seen by Robert Duquette's Subaru and it's cousins
approaching from the rear at night.  I don't judge turn signals as highest
priority.  Maybe the stop lights should be the brightest, but that puts the
running lights  closer to the road.

Are there brighter bulbs that will fit the sockets and not overheat the
wires?

Michael Rowe
'74 Midget
Long Island, NY