[Spridgets] Motor Removal

Norm 2Bs twobees at sprynet.com
Fri Aug 22 06:55:54 MDT 2008

Matt:

As noted engine seizure is usually caused by lack of lubrication.  But,
there can be other causes & they should be evident when you tear it down.

As for time involved,  hard to say.  I used to be able to remove the engine
from my MGB in 1-1/2 hours, re-install in 2-1/2 hours.  After taking 3 or 4
hours over the last couple of days to remove the 948 from my Turner, I
realize that the now-available quick-connects for various plumbing lines can
be a major time-saver.  With lines for over-flow tanks, oil cooler, etc.
it's a slower process.  I've attached a photo so you can see (won't be on
Digest).  Also, the room available around a Spridget engine is less than on
a B.  For example, removing the intake/exhaust manifolds (modified medium
-runner on the B, Maniflow on the 948) takes at least twice as long because
most of the nuts can only be moved one land at a time.  And, lastly, in
Connecticut, where I was working on the B, I had an electric engine hoist.
Here I have a floor hydraulic hoist.

I don't know why you would have to take the trans out.  I've never done that
unless the trans needed work.  Some people believe that it is VERY difficult
to align the trans input shaft into the spline of the clutch disc.  I always
use an alignment tool & have never had a problem.  One year & had the engine
out 5 times for various work.  Longest it ever took to get it back in was
about 2 minutes of fiddling.  I do use a jack under the trans to lift that
to more of an upward angle.

Hope this all helps.

Norm Sippel
'59 Turner racecar - 948-powered.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Eng compt w fire sys.jpg]