[Spridgets] Holy Sprite Day 1-2

Kitterer Bob bkitterer at mac.com
Sun Aug 10 23:26:34 MDT 2008

Holy Sprite

I have only been sitting under this tree in Glens yard for a short
time but heard a rummer that I was about to set off on another
adventure.

Some guy named Bob is going from Fallbrook to this guy Buster in
Anaheim to pick up a trailer to take me on a journey.

Bob has arrived and with Glen they are putting the last of the
plywood on the trailer.  Here I go - - uuuppps - - careful - - aaahh
- I am on board and ready to leave in the morning.

We are away on a bright sunny day.  After about 100 miles Bob stops
to see if I am still tied down nicely, which I am.  But the license
plate on the trailer is about to fall off.  He gets that fixed.  Then
has a nice talk with a California Highway Patrolman who thinks that
all the folks that are going to get me across country have to be
really great people.  He also warns us of a bad section of road
coming up which proves to be very helpful.  The rest of the day is
spent watching the changing scenery go by till we arrive at Kates.
I get to sleep while Bob enjoys a BBQ dinner and visiting with Kate
and friends.

Day Two.

We are away early (5:45 a.m.), stop for gas, check the tie downs then
hit the road.  We have only gone about 30 miles when one of the tie
downs for the tires on the trailer tongue decides it has done enough
work and leaves.  I try to warn Bob but not having all my parts makes
communicating difficult.  So one of the tires decides to take a
scenic side trip.  Bob sees this and get us stopped.  Fortunately
there were no other cars or trucks within miles of us and the tire
missed me, the trailer and the tow vehicle, so no damage done.  But
Bob has to take a hike in the cool  crisp mid 50s morning air.
Being a SoCa guy he is in shorts Tee shirt and sandals.  I see his
knees shaking but so is his jaw - - hummm.  Shortly he returns with
the wayward tire and has some extra rope to use as a tie down.  Ten
miles up the road is a small town with a Flying J.  With some new tie
downs and breakfast in Bob things are looking better.

Over the last mountains in NV and into Utah.  As we pass the
Bonneville Salt Flats I am sure that I can heard Donald and Geoff
talking and the sounds of my relatives setting records - what a
thrill.  We pass through some of Utahs red rock country with
enormous thunder clouds in the distance.  Around a corner and I get a
bath, boy that felt good after the heat we have been going through.
With the Rocky Mountains in sight the day ends in Grand Junction.  I
meet a new friend in the morning to take me the next step of the way.

Bob Kitterer - recorder.