[Spridgets] Alternators

John Caffrey jdc6 at Lehigh.EDU
Wed Aug 6 07:46:54 MDT 2008

My 74 Midget charging indicator light is coming on very dim, and will
not go out with revving the engine. It is a Bosch rebuild that was
replaced in Nov. 2005, around 4000 miles of driving. I checked and found
a nut missing on one of the mounting bolts and could just slip the
pulley with my thumb, so thought I found the problem, but the belt is
tight and the problem is still there. I charged the battery, the
indicator circuit works normally and is very bright with the key on, and
battery voltage increases to around 14 volts with modest revs.  I can't
check the output amperage at home, but am pretty sure this alternator
has seen better days. Am I a fool for not doing an alternator conversion
when I researched it in 05? Is this just a poor rebuild? Is this their
normal way to fail?
TIA,
John
Fogelsville, PA