[Spridgets] pinking problem - actually clutch??

Marc smarc at smarc.net
Mon Aug 4 18:16:28 MDT 2008

So, I went for a drive, and of course, I still hear the rattle at light
throttle. Pulling in to my garage, I stop just part way in, wanting to
check my alignment driving up onto the lift (not much room to spare
between the lift's treads). Anyway, just happened to catch an echo off
the wall of the garage - it's that damned rattle. Getting back into the
car, I happened to ever so slightly depress the clutch and the noise STOPS.

A little experimenting and when I rev the engine to about 2800 rpm, I
hear what I THOUGHT was pinking. Depressing the clutch pedal about inch
& a half makes the noise subside...

Not great news, but at least it's not the engine...

As you may recall, I had a buttload of troubles with the new clutch,
ultimately pulling it, and installing the old one. Then the problem with
the smoking throw out bearing... solved (or so I thought) by shortening
the pushrod a tiny bit...

Guess that saga isn't quite done yet...

--

Marc