[Spridgets] timing mark - roll your own

Ron Soave soavero at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 4 18:07:58 MDT 2008

> I bought a timing mark relocation kit from Jeff Schlemmer at
> Distributors and installed it. I love it!!  Only $20, too!

Jeff is the best at what he does, but if he ever runs out of these, just take a piece of aluminum about 2 inches long, drill a 5/16 hole in one end, cut or grind the other to a point, bend it 90 degrees just below the hole, remove the timing cover bolt and washer at the 9 o'clock position under the alternator bracket, put the pointer under that bolt. Dab some white paint/whiteout/nail polish on the point. Resist the urge to use a cut up beer can for this, although it would probably work.

Find TDC via valve position (#4 intake valve just opening, exhaust valve closing). Verify underneath the car, if you like, that the timing mark is at TDC (you'll never need to do that again after you're done). Stand where you would be next to the car if you were shooting the timing and dab paint on the crank pulley in your line of sight with the remote pointer. Use a dial back timing light and you only need the TDC mark.

Ron