[Spridgets] 1098 flywheel ?

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Sat Aug 2 20:41:37 MDT 2008

Today I power washed the Holy Sprite's 1098 engine and took off the
clutch which appears to be in very usable condition.
The release bearing is shot and the slave rod is ovaled out and bent but
the p/plate still has cosmoline on it and the disc
looks very good.
BUT I saw this ungodly groove in the face of the flywheel which I
thought was from a past clutch disc riding the rivets on the flywheel.
So I popped off a 2nd 1098 flywheel only to find the exact same groove.
Are 1098 flywheels machined with a nice groove all the way around? Or is
rivet gouging common on 1098s?
I have seen rivet grooves before and on my initial inspection while
talking with Buster on the phone, I thought the flywheel was trash.
But 2 of them? And at a closer look, they look like they are supposed to
be there.
Does anybody know if the groove is supposed to be in a 1098 flywheel?
If not, anybody have a decent 1098 flywheel for the Holy Sprite? The
clutch is OK but I will get a new T/O bearing and pilot bushing.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ