[Spridgets] Rack Clearances

James Gruber thistle_3619 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 06:30:21 MDT 2008

David,

  I replaced Bugsy's, my '68 Sprite's Rack and there are copper shims when you take apart the rack. Bentley Manual details the procedure. Simple stuff you can make and shims can come from sheet copper from ther hobby store. It will be quite evident if shims aren't right as the rack will lock up. Not a fun thing.

  Depending on the year of your car, consider replacing the pinion gear. That is the thing that wears in there and for my '68 the pinion gear was something like $6.95. Made a dramatic difference in steering feel.  Other years pinion is much more expensive.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Bugeye Sprite
Cincinnati, OH