[Spridgets] Suspension woes

David Riker davriker at nwi.net
Sat Apr 26 20:50:20 MDT 2008

The shims behind the steering rack are to keep the steering column aligned
to the rack and turning smoothly.  They don't necessarily go back in the
same places they came out either.  With the wheels lifted off the ground,
does the steering wheel rotate freely from lock to lock?  There should be no
stiff spots or binding.  Causes are the shims, bent steering column, or the
king pin bolts too tight.  Any binding will show up as steering that refuses
to return to center.  Toe in should be adjusted 1/8 less in the front.  At
any speed at all, the resistance of the tires actually pulls the front end
to a true 0" Toe-in.  If the toe starts out at 0, by the time the vehicle is
under way there will actually be 1/8" toe-out.  Toe-out will increase tire
wear, and cause twitchy steering.