[Spridgets] Rollbar and Spridget Safety

Larry Daniels ladaniels at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 25 18:25:05 MDT 2007

All this talk about roll bars and how large of tubing and how thick and how
they are mounted and how they are so necessary to save your bacon leads me
to ask you all this:  if the convertible we were talking about was a old
classic Cutlass or Eldorado or VW Beetle or Impala or a (highly unstable,
according to Mr. Nader) Corvair or any other of tens of thousands of
convertibles ever produced, many of them eminently less stable than any
sports car, would we even be having this conversation?  If you owned any of
the above, would you be debating what type of rollbar to put in it?  Have
you ever even seen any of these cars on the street with a rollbar installed?
Is this whole thing much more related to style than anything else?

I'm not judging any advocates of rollbars in street-driven Spridgets, but
think about this.  I am betting we wouldn't be consistent in installing a
rollbar in any of these other less-stable cars, would we?  Why?

LAD