[Spridgets] boy bothered by bugeye bushings

Glen Byrns grbyrns at ucdavis.edu
Tue Sep 25 14:28:34 MDT 2007

When you think about it, the inner metal sleeve of the bushing is locked in
position by the bolt to the chassis mount, the outer metal sleeve is locked
to the hole in the radius arm by friction.  The rubber core can only
accomodate just so much twist before it fails.  The radius arm bushings must
be installed with the rear springs under normal load or the bushings will be
installed at the lower limit of suspension travel.  Once lowered back to the
ground, the rubber core will be twisted halfway to the tearing point.  One
good upward seflection of the suspension and they're gone.

Jack up the car and lower the rear axle onto two jackstands.  Now the rear
suspension is loaded to the normal travel resting position.  Replace the
bushings and tighten into place.  NOW, lower the car and the bushings will
not be "pre-loaded" while sitting at rest.

My first set failed as you describe, the second set is still in place.  I
forget who, but someone on the list wised me up.

Glen Byrns