[Spridgets] 1098/1275 clutch, flywheel questions

Paul Asgeirsson PAsgeirsson at worldnet.att.net
Fri Sep 14 18:03:27 MDT 2007

Hi Dave,  some answers below.

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Kernberger" <dkern at napanet.net>
To: "Spridgets Listserve" <spridgets at autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 5:35 PM
Subject: [Spridgets] 1098/1275 clutch, flywheel questions

> To the group,
>
> I just signed on to this list and have a group of related
> questions.  I would appreciate any answers to all/part of the list
> anybody can provide.
>
> 1) Are 1098 cc (10CC ID) and 948 cc engine flywheel ring gears the same??

Nearly!!  The ID is close to the 1098.  948=9.225" and does NOT have a notch
around the perimeter.

ID of the 1098=9.322" and has a notch around the perimeter to match a raised
lip on the 1098 flywheel.  That's to prevent it from sliding off from
theimpact of the inertia drive starter.

There are also differences in the center of the 1098 flywheels as there are
2 1098 engine crankshafts.  a 2" main and a 1 3/4" main.

All 3 of the above flywheels have just 4 bolt holes in any of them, and have
flat backs to them.

The 1275 flywheel has 2 locating dowel holes and 6 bolt holes.  It will bolt
up only one way as the locating dowels are located asymetrically.  This
won't bolt up to any other engine.

The 1275 ring gear is 9.350 I.D. but it differs from the others as there is
some relief on the ring gear so the starter pinion won't dingle along the
ring gear when the engine runs.  It too has an internal notch to match a
ridge on the dlywheel, and the flywheel has machining on it that has sculped
out a lot of material on the cblock side.  It's also the lightest of all the
flywheels in it's stock form.  948 is the heaviest.

Some of the made in India ring gears sold under the trade name of County
come in a variety of shapes and sizes.  They also sometimes look like all
the teeth were hand files by school kids.

1275 flywheels show up routinely on EBay and can be rehabbed rather nicely.

Later, paul A

> 2) If not, what is the difference?

See above

> 3) Will a 1275 flywheel bolt to the crankshaft flange of a 1098 cc
> (10CC ID) engine?

See above

> 4) What are the major differences between 1275 and 1098 (10CC ID)
flywheels?

See above!