[Spridgets] Heater cable rebuild

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Tue Sep 11 16:09:54 MDT 2007

For 58 thru 67 Spridgets.

I have a couple of cut off heater cables and they were useless and made
of unobtainium. So I thought I would make one or 2 out of the junk I have.
2 of my cables had been cut at the heater so the inner cable was too
short. I had a lawn mower cable with a solid strand in it. Iused that as
the new cable but the original had a steel ball on the switch end.
How to put a steel ball on a steel cable?
I welded a blob to the cable, ground it semi round and it works just fine.
You have to take the original cable apart.
Put the cable sheath in a vise. Heat the switch/cable coupling with a
torch to unsolder it. Gently pull up on the switch with a twist motion
once the solder is soft. Now the inner cable can be removed from the
switch end. Watch the small twist stop, it is just a peg and can be
removed by lining up the holes on the back of the switch and pushing it
out through the larger hole.
Fish your new welded cable through the stem of the switch and into the
cable sheath. Grease everything up real good too.
Put the cable back in the vise, heat the coupling while pushing the
switch part back into the solder.
Be advised that when you weld on a thin solid steel cable, too much heat
will melt the cable in an instant. (don't ask)
Use the lowest setting on a mig, and keep a good distance with short
welds and a cooling off period in between.
I fixed one but with my melted other half of the cable, I need to find
another lawn mower cable.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ