[Spridgets] Bugeye Sighting in San Diego

rrengineer at dslextreme.com rrengineer at dslextreme.com
Thu Sep 6 14:31:32 MDT 2007

The FRA (Federal Railroad Administration) requires a very precise way to
blow our train horns.  Depending on your approaching speed, you are
required to blow the horn in a specific sequence.  Two long blasts
followed by one short blast, finishing with a long blast as you enter the
grade crossing and continuing until reaching the other side of the
crossing.  This sequence is supposed to start 15 seconds before the
crossing and the FRA provides a chart to show when to start whistling,
according to speed after passing the tiny whistle board (a small white
sign with a "W" on it).  The whistle board is usually placed 1/4 mile from
the crossing.  Above 45 MPH you start whistling at the whistle board.
Below 45 mph you reference the chart to know how long you delay whistling
after passing the whistle board to make the sequence last 15 seconds
before entering the crossing.  It sounds more complicated than it really
is.  If I do not follow this procedure precisely and I hit a car or other
vehicle or (and believe me it happens) a person I can be held personally
responsible in a civil action.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2