[Spridgets] Starter -- part 2

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Sun Oct 28 19:14:05 MST 2007

I don't know which "good" book our friend was referring to, but it
certainly wasn't anything written by anyone connected to
BMC/Lucas/MG/A-H.  If you put ANY lubricant on that shaft (WD-40 is
infamous for combining with airborne dust and turning to gum), it will
hold dust from the clutch disc, and you'll have another mess on your
hands.
Your best bet is to pull that starter and spray some Brake-Kleen on it,
to get the WD-40 off of it.  If the shaft has any rust on it, you need
to get that cleaned off, for best results.
You can (or, at least you used to be able to) buy a Bendix spring repair
kit.
Bud Osbourne