[Spridgets] Starter Issue

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Sun Oct 28 18:56:59 MST 2007

Something to be concerned about: Several years back, my Midget's starter
was exhibiting the same symptoms you describe.  I ignored is until it
was time to pull the engine for a clutch replacement.  Much to my
surprise, the starter had pushed the ring gear forward, on the flywheel,
into the oil pump cover!  It had machined half of the end off of the oil
pump cover!
Fortunately, I had another oil pump cover in my parts stash, and a new
ring gear was not expensive.  I had my machinist weld the new ring gear
on, just to be safe.
Hopefully, your starter/ring gear issue isn't the same one that I was
presented with.
Bud Osbourne