[Spridgets] Differential bearing preload question

Hal Faulkner hal at katemuir.com
Mon Oct 15 18:35:07 MDT 2007

The manual clearly states  " lb-in."  YIKES!!!

So, if I torque the pinion nut to the recommended 135 to 140 lb-ft it is
definitely too tight.  Now I can back off the pinion nut 'till I have 11-13
lb-in of preload.  Guess I'll just have to figure out how to measure
that....
The pinion nut is torqued without the differential in the unit so gear lash
doesn't become part of the deal.

Hal

Derf asked:

"Are you sure the preload shouldn't be in inch pounds?   Some Fords are
set up with 20 or so inch pounds of preload.  If you can't turn it by
hand then you have something wrong.
Is there any gear lash when you have the diff torqued?"