[Spridgets] FW: wheel bearings Follow-up

Glen Byrns grbyrns at ucdavis.edu
Wed Oct 10 09:57:02 MDT 2007

The outside surface of the ones in my car look as you describe, but the two
faces that meet the bearing races are carefully machined to a flat serface.
Their intention seems clear.  When torqued together, the axle nut, outer
bearing inner race, spacer, and the inner bearing inner race become a
"solid" metal axle that greatly exceeds the original axle diameter.
Imagine a 10" long  mild steel bolt that you can bend in your bare hands.
Now fill the length of the bolt with a stack of 1" fender washers and snug
them up tight with a nut at the very end (say...45 lbs torque).  Now grab
the 1" diameter "thing" you just made and try to bend it.  No chance.
Though the logic took years to sink in, I now see the intention of the
original design.

Glen Byrns