[Spridgets] Front suspension question

Robert Weeks lists at woozy.com
Mon Oct 8 08:09:09 MDT 2007

Thanks to everyone who answered my leaking gas tank question.

I noticed something else when I was working on the brakes yesterday. On
the driver's side front axle the swivel axle has a bit of slop up and
down on the kingpin. It's maybe 1/32 - 1/16 of travel.  I pulled the
cotter pin from the castled nut at the top of the kingpin to see if I
could adjust it tighter but the nut just turns without tightening which
leads me to believe that it or the kingpin is stripped. I put the cotter
pin back in and figured I'd leave well enough alone for now.

My question is, is this at all dangerous? I checked for any up and down
play on the passenger's side and there is none but I did notice that
there was another nut on top of the castled nut, so maybe the nut or
kingpin is stripped on that side too.

We've been hit with a lot of unexpected bills & expenses lately and my
wife has informed me that the MG expenditures need to be cut back
substantially for a while. Translation: "we really tight".  So I just
want to make sure it's safe to drive like this. I'm not looking to
replace any of this for a good long while if I can avoid it.

Thanks,

Robert