[Spridgets] wheel bearings

Glen Byrns grbyrns at ucdavis.edu
Thu Oct 4 16:15:42 MDT 2007

As I understand it, the spacer and inner bearing shells, when tightened
against the stub axle, will increase the effective diameter of the axle,
thus making it less likely to bend and/or break.  Instead of the axle being
~1" in diameter, it would now be the diameter of the total torqued package
(axle/spacer/inner race, ~1.5")  Picture the spacer and inner races (once
torqued tightly against the face of the stub axle assembly) as a steel tube
axle with another solid axle inside.  I never understood the whole idea
until I watched the Twist video and heard his explanation.  Suddenly it made
sense.  However, isn't it a cure looking for a problem?  How often do
Spridget axles break off?  If there is a big problem with stub axles
breaking off at the root, this would be an effective way to lengthen their
life or prevent breakage.  If breakage is very rare, use the spacer to
discipline the neighbor's cat and don't sweat the torque.

Don't call me on the measurements, I'm not looking at an axle at the moment,
just guessing.

Glen