[Spridgets] [Fwd: Re: generator bushing lube]

David Woerpel dwoerpel at wi.net
Fri Nov 30 10:12:43 MST 2007

vern at srvinet.com wrote:

> The generator for 1959 bugeye is missing the
> oiler.  I am just curious how this thing works.
> The brass bushing for the shaft is the normal
> oil soaked bushing from all appearances  The
> book says to put grease in the oiler.  Does the
> grease soak thru the bushing or is there supposed to
> be some kind of hole thru the bushing or what?
> Moss is pretty proud of their oilers. Are there
> used ones out there off old generators or is that
> one of those things that get lost.  I could probably make
> one, but haven't checked the threads yet.
> thanks anyone.
>
> Vern

Hi again,

Before you press in a new BRONZE (porous) bushing, soak it 24 hours in
oil (I use new motor oil).
The oiler is brass and consists of a spring, inside of which, is a felt
cylinder.  The felt is soaked in oil.  I've always found grease above
the felt (away from the generator bushing).  I believe this is to keep
the oil in the felt from migrating up the felt away from the bushing.
The felt should extend beyond the end of the spring slightly so that it
rests on the bushing and "feeds" it oil.  I remove the oiler each
driving season and add oil to the felt.  You can still find these oilers
on old generators.  Some one on the list may have one.  Have not had
experience with the MOSS item.

Dave
59 :{)
05 MCS