[Spridgets] Be careful what you post pt I

Robert Bruce Evans b-evans at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 20 20:02:09 MST 2007

Robert Weeks shared:  "Every year around this time an odd phenomenon occurs
in the political world, particularly in right-wing circles. Many of the
same folks who
spend most of the year demonizing the poor and trying to convince us that
poverty is a choice all of a sudden start encouraging everyone to lend
their neighbor a hand...."

Now, what of those among us who do these things quietly and donate
anonymously throughout the year, and yet still condemn the welfare system
as it is run by the Government?  Would you condemn us, as well?
Personally, I feel bound to actively follow Christ's lessons of love for
one another.  So, too, will I condemn those whose misuse the generosity of
others, for they are breaking the eighth and ninth commandments ((8) "Thou
shalt not steal, and (9) Thou shalt not bear false witness) when they lie
to obtain welfare, and in doing so are stealing the hard-earned money of
others.

I think that everyone here knows personally of cases where welfare fraud
exists.  Once, while substitute teaching in an inner city school, the
pupils turned in the Government forms for FREE breakfasts and lunches
signed by their parents stating that their income was below the required
level.  I was angered when one child turned his in and his parents swore
their total income was $17,000.  And yet I knew the father was a Los
Angeles P. D. sergeant, and the mother was a LAPD police officer, giving
them a minimum total income of over $125,000.  And what was done when I
informed the school administration?  Nothing.

So you, too, must not blanket statements, just as you must also condemn the
cheats, and demand that they be rooted out.  Failure to do so causes the
whole system to come under suspicion.

Buster Evans